Foley, AL Personal Injury Lawyer
With recreational areas like the Foley Sports Complex, and several major roads and intersections, personal injury cases in Foley, Alabama keep the South Baldwin Regional Medical Center quite busy. And when someone is injured in Foley, Alabama, they may have to spend a little more time in the waiting room than citizens of other towns, because there are fewer physicians per capita in Foley, Alabama than the national average. Still, when you file a personal injury claim in Foley, you start the process of gaining back all the money you have spent on bills, and then some. Contact Turner, Onderdonk, Kimbrough, Howell, Huggins & Bradley to set up a meeting to learn more now.
Why You Need a Personal Injury Attorney
The facts of your accident may seem so obvious that you wonder why you need a personal injury attorney in Foley, AL. If someone rear-ends you, why do you need an attorney to prove that you deserve compensation? If a store owner left a dangerous obstacle in the walkway, shouldn’t you be entitled to compensation without an attorney?
No matter how obvious the facts of your case are, you can expect the other side’s insurance company to nitpick as much as they can. They have one goal: to minimize your settlement offer and save their company as much as possible.
They might suggest that you cut their driver off and made it impossible for them to avoid rear-ending you. They could claim that you intentionally fell at the store in order to fight for a big payout. They might even question the severity of your injuries and say that you’re faking everything.
Unfortunately, insurance companies have massive legal teams who have done a lot of work to figure out how to deny claims in the most efficient way possible. As a victim, you have little chance of standing up to these protocols and fighting to get what you deserve.
That all changes when you bring a personal injury attorney into the claim. Insurance adjusters know they can’t use the same tricks on an attorney that they use on a layperson. They know that your attorney will be able to assess the actual value of your claim and fight for a fair settlement. This gives you a leg up when it’s time to negotiate.
Types of Personal Injury Claims
The field of personal injury law covers many types of accidents and injuries. Some of the most common types of personal injury cases include:
- Vehicle accidents, including car, truck, and motorcycle collisions
- Pedestrian accidents leading to the injury or death of a pedestrian
- Bike accidents caused by reckless drivers
- Slip and fall accidents including those at people’s homes, commercial properties, or publicly owned properties
- Dog bites and other animal attacks
- Product liability, including cases involving products that are designed, manufactured, or marketed improperly
- Medical malpractice including surgical errors, misdiagnoses, and missed diagnoses
Compensation for Your Losses
Compensation varies widely across the field of personal injury law, depending on the type of claim you have and the severity of your injuries. Your compensation is broken down into a number of categories, including:
- Medical expenses. You may be compensated for ambulance transportation, surgical fees, diagnostic tests, and follow-up appointments. If your injury requires ongoing assistance, you may also get compensation for physical therapy or occupational therapy. People with lifelong injuries may receive compensation for future medical expenses.
- Lost wages. Time away from work can be financially devastating to a family. Your settlement may include compensation for any lost wages. Victims who are left permanently unable to work because of their injuries may also receive money for future lost income.
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
Once your attorney has proven that the other party caused the accident and consequently caused your injuries, they must prove the extent of your injuries. This is largely what determines how much you receive in a settlement or in a court award. They may begin by going through your medical records and assessing the impact of your injury on your day-to-day life. The more your injury affects your daily life and the longer it’s expected to last, the more compensation you may receive.
For example, if your injury leaves you unable to care for your children independently or requires you to cut down to part-time hours at work, you could be looking at a large settlement. If you have to take one week off of work and recover completely after a couple weeks, you’ll likely receive a much smaller settlement.
To help your attorney during this, it’s important to provide them with copies of all your medical records and listen to your doctor. Skipping appointments or failing to follow your doctor’s care instructions may weaken your personal injury claim and make it look like you are faking your injuries. Your Foley, AL personal injury lawyer may also ask you to keep a personal injury journal that tracks the progress of your injuries over time.
Protecting Your Rights After an Accident
Taking the proper steps after an accident can help you prepare for a personal injury claim. After an accident, it is recommended that you:
- Report it. If you are hurt in a car accident, call 911 and report it to the authorities. This will lead to a police report, which is an important piece of evidence in a personal injury claim. If you slip and fall at a store, you’ll want to report the fall to the manager on duty. If you suffer a dog bite or animal attack, you must report it to the police and the local animal control agency.
- Take photos and video footage. Take photos of the accident scene immediately. If you fall, you’ll want pictures showing the obstacle that made you fall and any signs warning you of the danger. Car crash victims should get as many photos of the crash scene as they can.
- Document your injuries. Take photos and jot down any symptoms you experience immediately after the accident.
- Seek medical care. Even if you feel fine, you must seek medical attention right away. This links your injuries to the accident and allows you to begin treatment promptly.
- Contact an attorney. You want someone on your side whose only priority is your best interests. That’s why you need a Foley, AL personal injury attorney.
Choose Turner, Onderdonk, Kimbrough, Howell, Huggins & Bradley—We’re Here for You
Our team has helped many clients get the compensation they deserve after a personal injury. Let us help you through this challenging time. To schedule a consultation, contact us online or call us at 251-847-2237.